Living in Union Hill
Are you ready to discover the hidden gem of Kansas City? Welcome to Union Hill, the neighborhood where historical charm meets modern convenience! From unique dining options to thriving local businesses, this neighborhood has it all. If you're considering a move to Kansas City, you won't want to miss out on all that Union Hill has to offer. In this blog, we'll give you a glimpse into what makes Union Hill such a great place to live, work, and play. Whether you're a young professional looking for a vibrant community or a family searching for a charming and safe neighborhood, Union Hill has something for everyone. Keep reading to discover the best of Union Hill and why it should be your next home!
Don’t miss out on Justin’s latest YouTube video about the most trendy neighborhoods in Kansas City: Brookside. As a local real estate expert, Justin shares everything you need to know about this charming and historic neighborhood, making it a must-watch for anyone planning to move to Brookside.
Urban Meet Suburban at Union Hill
A Great Community
Union Hill is a vibrant and tight-knit community located in the heart of Kansas City. With its rich history and stunning architecture, this neighborhood has become a popular destination for those looking to experience the charm and character of the city.
One of the unique aspects of Union Hill is its strong sense of community. The residents are friendly and welcoming, and there are numerous events and festivals throughout the year that bring people together. The neighborhood hosts annual events like the Union Hill Garden Tour, which showcases the beautiful and historic gardens of the community.
In addition to community events, Union Hill is also located just minutes away from some of the best cultural attractions in Kansas City, including the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art and the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Whether you are looking for an intimate neighborhood gathering or a night out on the town, Union Hill has something for everyone.
Squarely in the Best of Kansas City
Union Hill's location offers the best of both worlds for residents. It's situated in the heart of Kansas City, providing easy access to all the city has to offer, while still maintaining a sense of quiet and privacy. Commute times are a major benefit of living in Union Hill. The neighborhood is just a few minutes from Downtown Kansas City, making it a great option for professionals who work in the city center. Corporate Woods is only a 20-minute drive away, making it a convenient location for those who work in Overland Park. KCI Airport is also just a 25-minute drive from Union Hill, providing easy access for travelers. With such a central location, residents of Union Hill have the best of both worlds, a serene neighborhood to call home, and easy access to the city's top destinations.
How are Schools in Union Hill?
The public schools in the Union Hill area are part of the Kansas City Public School District. Like many urban school districts, KCPS has had its challenges in recent years, but it has undergone significant changes and improvements, including gaining back its accreditation in 2018. While some families may opt for private school options, the public schools in the area have shown promising improvement and have a range of programs and initiatives to support students.
In addition to traditional K-12 schools, there are also a number of charter schools in the area that offer alternative education options. For families with young children, there are also several early childhood education centers and preschools.
Private School Options
It's worth noting that Union Hill is located in close proximity to a number of top-rated private schools in the Kansas City area, which may be an attractive option for families seeking a more specialized education experience.
- The Pembroke Hill School: A private, independent, coeducational school for students from preschool through 12th grade. It is located in the Country Club District and is known for its rigorous academic curriculum, outstanding athletics, and diverse student body.
- Rockhurst High School: An all-boys Jesuit school located in the Troostwood neighborhood of Kansas City. It offers a rigorous academic program, strong athletic programs, and a variety of extracurricular activities.
- Notre Dame de Sion School: A Catholic, independent, college-preparatory school for girls in grades 9-12. It is located in the Brookside neighborhood of Kansas City and offers a challenging curriculum, a strong sense of community, and a variety of extracurricular activities.
- St. Teresa's Academy: An all-girls Catholic high school located in the Country Club District. It offers a challenging academic program, a strong sense of community, and a variety of extracurricular activities.
Dining Out in Union Hill
Union Hill offers a wide variety of dining options that will cater to every taste bud. The historic neighborhood has several noteworthy dining options that have become the go-to for both locals and tourists. Here are a few top dining options that are definitely worth checking out:
- Cafe Europa: A cozy, romantic restaurant with a menu inspired by Mediterranean cuisine, Cafe Europa is known for its signature dishes such as tapas, paella, and other traditional Spanish dishes.
- The Jacobson: A popular American-style restaurant, The Jacobson offers an array of menu options that feature a mix of classic and modern flavors. The restaurant also boasts a great selection of cocktails, wine, and beer.
- Eddie V's Prime Seafood: A seafood and steakhouse restaurant that offers a classy and upscale dining experience. Eddie V's offers fresh seafood, prime steaks, and an extensive wine list.
- Q39: A barbecue restaurant that serves Kansas City-style barbecue with a twist. The restaurant offers a variety of smoked meats and innovative side dishes.
Apart from these, Union Hill's prime location also makes it convenient to access some of the nearby popular foodie spots such as Westport, Downtown Kansas City, and the Crossroads Arts District. These areas offer a diverse range of dining options from international cuisines to local specialties.
What to do in Union Hill?
Union Hill and the surrounding neighborhoods offer a variety of entertainment options. Just a short walk or streetcar ride away is the popular Power & Light District, which features numerous bars, restaurants, and entertainment venues. Other nearby areas like the Crossroads Arts District and Westport also offer a variety of nightlife and entertainment options.
For those seeking outdoor activities, there are several notable parks in the area. The nearby Gillham Park offers a playground, picnic areas, and sports fields, while Liberty Memorial and Penn Valley Park offer scenic views of downtown Kansas City and walking trails.
In terms of food, Union Hill has several dining options ranging from casual cafes to upscale restaurants. The Union Hill Kitchen offers American fare with a contemporary twist, while Sasha’s Baking Company serves breakfast and brunch favorites with a European flair. Nearby Westport also boasts a variety of dining options, including the famous beer and burger spot, Westport Flea Market.
Throughout the year, there are numerous festivals and events in the area, including the popular Kansas City Irish Fest and Westport Art Fair (where Justin and Tara had their very first date!). Overall, Union Hill and its neighboring areas offer a diverse range of entertainment options for all ages and interests.
Cost of Living in Union Hill
Union Hill is a desirable neighborhood that offers residents many amenities and conveniences. However, compared to some other parts of the Kansas City metro area, the cost of living in Union Hill is higher. This is partly due to its location close to downtown Kansas City, which is a hub of activity and commerce. Residents can expect to pay a premium for the convenience of living in such a central location, but they also benefit from the abundance of dining, entertainment, and cultural options nearby. Additionally, Union Hill is a historic neighborhood with many charming and unique features, which can also contribute to a higher cost of living. However, the value of the real estate in this area has been increasing over the years, making it a good investment opportunity. Overall, the cost of living in Union Hill is higher than some other parts of the Kansas City metro, but it is also a great location with a lot to offer.
You point the direction,
we’ll guide you there.
Pros and Cons of Living in Union Hill
- Convenient location close to downtown Kansas City, allowing for easy access to dining, entertainment, and employment opportunities
- Charming historic architecture and tree-lined streets
- Diverse mix of residents including many owners who have relocated to Kansas City
- Walkability to nearby shops, restaurants, and amenities
- Access to the KC Streetcar, which makes getting around the downtown area even more convenient
- Higher cost of living compared to other parts of the KC metro area
- Limited options for public schools, which may not be suitable for families with school-aged children
- Can be difficult to find affordable housing options in the area
- Some areas of Union Hill may be noisy or experience higher levels of traffic due to its proximity to downtown.
Overall, Union Hill offers a unique and convenient urban living experience, with a close-knit community and access to some of the best dining and entertainment options in the city. However, it may not be the best fit for everyone, particularly those who prioritize affordable housing or proximity to quality public schools.
Ready to Get Started?
Union Hill is a vibrant and eclectic neighborhood in the heart of Kansas City, offering residents a unique blend of history, culture, and convenience. With its prime location, top-rated dining, and entertainment options, and easy access to major highways, Union Hill is an excellent choice for anyone looking to relocate to the Kansas City area. From the picturesque parks and green spaces to the bustling nightlife and annual festivals, Union Hill truly has something for everyone.
If you're considering making Union Hill your new home, look no further than the Plains Paris Team for all your real estate needs. Our experienced and knowledgeable agents are dedicated to helping you find the perfect property to fit your lifestyle and budget. Contact us today to learn more about what Union Hill has to offer and start your journey towards your new home.
OUR FAVORITE SUBDIVISIONS:
The Real Scoop on Union Hill Real Estate
Union Hill offers a mix of new and old homes, condos, apartments, and townhouses that cater to different lifestyles and preferences. Real estate in this neighborhood is highly sought after due to its prime location, stunning architecture, and historic charm. Many of the homes are historic, ranging from Italianate and Victorian to Colonial Revival styles, and offer unique features like ornate fireplaces, stained glass windows, and intricate woodwork. In addition, the new construction in Union Hill boasts modern amenities and luxury finishes. Prices in Union Hill vary depending on the property type and location but tend to be on the higher side compared to other neighborhoods in the area. Nonetheless, Union Hill offers a great value for the lifestyle and convenience it provides.
One of the most popular areas is along the 31st Street corridor, which offers a mix of residential and commercial properties. The homes in this area tend to be historic and feature charming architectural details, such as ornate woodwork and stained glass windows. Another popular area is along Grand Boulevard, which has seen a resurgence in recent years with new developments and the opening of several restaurants and cafes. The area near the Union Hill Cemetery is also a popular choice, with its historic homes and tree-lined streets. Additionally, some buyers are drawn to the newer townhomes and condos that have been built in the area, particularly those with rooftop decks and views of the city skyline. Overall, Union Hill offers a diverse mix of housing options, each with its own unique charm and character.