Living in the Northland
Looking for the perfect place to call home in Kansas City? Look no further than the Northland! With top-rated schools, diverse neighborhoods, and endless opportunities for adventure and exploration, the Northland offers a high quality of life that's hard to beat. In this article, we'll take a closer look at the unique benefits of living in the Northland, including its thriving business community, proximity to downtown Kansas City, and access to outdoor activities. Whether you're a first-time homebuyer or an experienced investor, this page is the perfect resource for anyone considering a move to the Northland. So why wait? Let's explore all that this incredible community has to offer!
Don’t miss out on Justin’s latest YouTube video about the most trendy neighborhoods in Kansas City: Brookside. As a local real estate expert, Justin shares everything you need to know about this charming and historic neighborhood, making it a must-watch for anyone planning to move to Brookside.
Get to Know the Northland!
A Great Community
The Northland of Kansas City is a community that prides itself on its rich culture and strong sense of community. Despite being part of a major metropolitan area, the Northland has its own unique identity and traditions that set it apart from the rest of the city.
One of the highlights of the Northland's cultural scene is its many festivals and events.
• Liberty FallFest: This annual event in Liberty, Missouri features a parade, carnival rides, live music, and more.
• GladFest: Held in Gladstone, Missouri, this festival features carnival rides, live music, food vendors, and more.
• Christmas on the River: This festive event in Parkville, Missouri includes a holiday parade, live music, and a visit from Santa Claus.
In addition to its cultural attractions, the Northland also offers a wealth of recreational opportunities for all ages. Youth sports are especially popular in the area, with a wide range of sports and activities to keep kids active and engaged. And with plenty of parks, trails, and outdoor spaces to explore, the Northland is the perfect place to enjoy the beauty of the Midwest and stay connected to nature.
Access and Amenities: KC Northlands Location
The Northland of Kansas City offers a convenient location for those who want easy access to major destinations throughout the metro area. Here are some of the key commute times from the Northland to popular destinations:
- Downtown Kansas City: Just 10-20 minutes depending on traffic
- Corporate Woods: About 25-30 minutes by car
- Lee's Summit: Approximately 30-40 minutes by car
- Kansas City International Airport: Just 10-15 minutes by car
With the Northland's proximity to major highways like I-35 and I-29, commuting to work or traveling for business is made easier. Frequent travelers can also enjoy quick and easy access to air transportation at the nearby Kansas City International Airport.
How are Schools in the Northland?
The Northland of Kansas City is home to several highly regarded school districts, including the North Kansas City School District and the Park Hill School District. These districts offer a wide range of educational options, from elementary schools to high schools, and are known for their high standards of academic excellence and commitment to student success.
North Kansas City School District
The North Kansas City School District is a highly regarded school district that serves over 20,000 students across 30 schools. The district's commitment to excellence is evident in its strong academic programs, outstanding teachers, and supportive learning environment.
The district offers a wide range of educational opportunities, including honors and advanced placement courses, career and technical education programs, and special education services. It also has a strong commitment to STEM education, with programs that focus on science, technology, engineering, and math.
North Kansas City School District's high schools, including Staley, Oak Park, Winnetonka, and North Kansas City High Schools, are known for their exceptional extracurricular activities, including sports, music, theater, and academic clubs. These programs provide students with opportunities to explore their interests and develop leadership skills, while also creating a strong sense of community and school pride.
The district is also committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment, with a strong focus on social-emotional learning and mental health. The district has implemented programs to support students' emotional well-being, including counseling services and mental health resources.
Overall, the North Kansas City School District is an excellent choice for families looking for a high-quality education for their children. With its strong academic programs, exceptional extracurricular activities, and supportive learning environment, the district provides students with the tools they need to succeed academically and personally, preparing them for a lifetime of success.
Park Hill School District
The Park Hill School District is another highly regarded school district in the Northland of Kansas City, serving over 11,000 students across 18 schools. The district's commitment to academic excellence, innovative programming, and personalized learning has earned it a reputation as one of the top school districts in the state.
The district offers a wide range of educational opportunities, including advanced placement courses, dual credit courses, and career and technical education programs. The district also has a strong focus on early childhood education, offering a variety of programs for preschool-aged children.
Park Hill School District's high schools, including Park Hill High School and Park Hill South High School, are known for their outstanding academic programs, extracurricular activities, and commitment to student success. The district's high schools have consistently been recognized by U.S. News & World Report as some of the best high schools in the country.
In addition to its academic programs, the Park Hill School District also offers a wide range of extracurricular activities and athletic programs, including music and theater programs, sports teams, and academic clubs. These programs provide students with opportunities to develop their talents and interests, build leadership skills, and create lasting friendships.
The district is also committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment for all students, with a focus on social-emotional learning and mental health support. The district has implemented a variety of programs to support students' mental health and emotional well-being, including counseling services, mental health resources, and suicide prevention training for staff.
Overall, the Park Hill School District is an exceptional choice for families looking for a high-quality education for their children. With its strong academic programs, innovative programming, and commitment to student success, the district provides students with the tools they need to achieve their full potential and succeed in the future.
Great Choices in Education
Overall, the Northland's schools offer a high quality education and a wide range of opportunities for students to succeed. Whether you're looking for a challenging academic program, a supportive learning environment, or a strong commitment to student achievement, the Northland's schools have everything you need to help your child thrive and succeed.
Eating Out in the Northland
The Northland of Kansas City is home to a wide range of dining options, from family-owned restaurants to well-known national chains. Whether you're in the mood for casual dining or fine dining, you're sure to find something to suit your taste.
One area that has seen a recent surge in dining options is the 64157 area near Liberty. This area has several popular restaurants, including:
- Cascone's Grill (3733 N Oak Trafficway, Kansas City) - This family-owned Italian-American restaurant has been serving up classic dishes since 1954, including chicken parmesan, lasagna, and meatball sandwiches.
- Nick and Jake's (6325 Lewis St, Parkville) - This popular restaurant features a variety of American-style dishes, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
- Luigi's Italian Restaurant (8 E Franklin St, Liberty) - This classic Italian restaurant has been serving up delicious dishes for over 30 years, with favorites like lasagna, chicken parmigiana, and seafood fettuccine.
- Summit Grill: (501 NE 70th St, Gladstone) - Modern, industrial-style grill with traditional American fare & a long bar with craft beer on tap.
Another area that has seen recent development is Metro North Crossing, which is currently under construction and will feature several new restaurants, including:
- Whataburger (600 NW Barry Road, Kansas City) - This popular Texas-based chain is known for its burgers, fries, and shakes.
- Hawaiian Bros (700 NW Barry Road, Kansas City) - This fast-casual restaurant serves up Hawaiian-style plate lunches, featuring options like chicken katsu, kalua pork, and teriyaki beef.
- Go Chicken Go (coming soon) - This local favorite is known for its fried chicken and sides, including gizzards, livers, and jojo potatoes.
Finally, Zona Rosa is another popular dining destination in the Northland, with a variety of restaurants to choose from, including:
- Hereford House (8661 N. Stoddard Ave, Kansas City) - This upscale steakhouse offers a variety of steaks, seafood, and cocktails.
- Bravo Cucina Italiana (7410 NW 87th St, Kansas City) - This Italian restaurant serves up classic dishes like pasta, pizza, and salads.
- Granite City Food & Brewery (8461 NW Prairie View Rd, Kansas City) - This brewery and restaurant offers a variety of American-style dishes, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
Overall, the Northland of Kansas City has a variety of dining options to suit every taste and budget. The Northland includes a large area of north of the river Kansas City including numerous larger shopping and dining destinations and many other areas that will offer loads of choices for dining.
What to do in the Northland?
The Kansas City Northland has plenty of entertainment and recreation options, with a variety of parks, trails, and attractions for people of all ages. Here are some of the top things to do in the area:
- Parks and Trails: The Northland is home to several parks and nature preserves, including Smithville Lake, Watkins Mill State Park, and the Platte Landing Park. These areas offer a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, fishing, boating, and camping.
- Night Life: The Kansas City Northland has several nightlife options for those looking for a night out on the town. From casinos to wine bars (Sail Away Wine Bar is a must see!) to patios and sports bars… there is lots to do in the northland. Keep in mind Power and Light, Crossroads and other areas are just a short drive.
- North Kansas City: Located just across the river from downtown Kansas City, North Kansas City has several bars and restaurants, including Chicken N Pickle, a popular indoor/outdoor entertainment complex with a variety of games, food, and drinks.
- Zona Rosa: This outdoor shopping center in Kansas City’s Northland area has several bars and restaurants, including 54th Street Grill.
- Power and Light District: While not technically in the Northland, the Power and Light District is just a short drive away and is one of Kansas City’s top nightlife destinations. This area has several bars and nightclubs, as well as a variety of restaurants and entertainment options.
- Downtown Parkville: This historic downtown area in Parkville has several bars and restaurants, including the Parkville Microbrew Festival, which showcases a variety of craft beers and food from local vendors.
- Other Areas: The Northland also has several other areas with nightlife options, including Gladstone, Liberty, and Smithville. Each of these areas has its own unique bars and restaurants, offering a variety of options for a night out.
- Youth Sports: The Northland has a strong tradition of youth sports, with several leagues and teams for kids of all ages. The Northland Sports Alliance is a great resource for families looking to get involved in youth sports in the area.
- Unique Attractions: The Northland is also home to several unique attractions, including the Jesse James Bank Museum in Liberty, the Shoal Creek Living History Museum in Hodge Park, and the National Silk Art Museum in Weston. These attractions offer a glimpse into the history and culture of the area.
- Indoor Recreation: For those looking for indoor entertainment options, the Northland has several options including Above All Tramoline Park, Power Play (a family-friendly entertainment center in Kansas City that offers a variety of indoor activities, including laser tag, mini golf, arcade games, and go-karts) and Main Event Entertainment, which offers bowling, arcade games, and laser tag.
Overall, the Kansas City Northland has plenty of entertainment and recreation options for people of all ages. Whether you’re looking to enjoy the great outdoors, take in a show, or explore the area’s history and culture, you’re sure to find something to suit your interests in the Northland.
Cost of Living in the Northland
The cost of living in the Kansas City Northland is generally considered to be affordable compared to other major metropolitan areas in the United States. The Northland is a mix of suburban and urban areas, and the cost of living can vary depending on factors such as housing costs, transportation expenses, and the cost of goods and services.
Housing costs in the Northland are generally lower than other areas in the Kansas City metro area, making it an attractive option for those looking to buy or rent a home. The area also has a variety of housing options to choose from, including apartments, townhouses, and single-family homes.
The cost of goods and services in the Northland is generally in line with the national average, and there are plenty of options for shopping, dining, and entertainment that can fit within a variety of budgets. Transportation costs can vary depending on where you live and work, but the Northland is well-connected to other areas of Kansas City through a network of highways and public transportation options.
Overall, the cost of living in the Kansas City Northland is generally considered to be affordable, with a variety of options available to fit a range of budgets.
You point the direction,
we’ll guide you there.
The Truth about Northland Kansas City
- Affordable Housing: The Northland has more affordable housing options compared to other areas of the city.
- Strong Community: The Northland has a strong sense of community and small-town feel, which can be attractive for families and those looking for a close-knit neighborhood.
- Outdoor Activities: The Northland is home to several parks, lakes, and outdoor recreation options, which can be attractive for those who enjoy spending time in nature.
- Youth Sports: The Northland has a strong tradition of youth sports, with several leagues and teams for kids of all ages.
- Convenient Location: The Northland is conveniently located near major highways and the airport, making it easy to get around and travel.
- Commute: Depending on where you work, the Northland may have a longer commute time compared to other areas of the city.
- Limited Public Transportation: While the Northland has some public transportation options, it may not be as extensive as other parts of the city.
- Limited Nightlife: The Northland may have fewer options for nightlife compared to other areas of the city, which may be a con for those looking for a more vibrant social scene.
- Limited Job Opportunities: Depending on your industry, there may be fewer job opportunities in the Northland compared to other areas of the city.
- Weather: Like much of the Midwest, the Northland experiences extreme weather conditions, including hot summers and cold winters, which can be a challenge for some.
Overall, the Northland has a lot to offer, including affordable housing, a strong sense of community, and plenty of outdoor activities. However, it may not be the best fit for everyone, depending on factors such as commute time, job opportunities, and desired social scene.
Ready to Get Started?
The Kansas City Northland is a vibrant and thriving community that offers a unique blend of suburban living and urban amenities. With affordable housing options, strong community ties, and plenty of outdoor activities, it's no wonder why so many people are choosing to make the Northland their home. Whether you're looking for great schools, excellent dining options, or a convenient location, the Northland has something for everyone. With a commitment to providing the best possible real estate experience, the Plains Paris team is here to help you navigate the complex world of real estate and find your perfect home in the Kansas City Northland.
If you're considering a move to the Kansas City Northland, there's never been a better time to reach out to the Plains Paris team. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable agents is dedicated to helping clients achieve their real estate goals, whether you're buying, selling, or simply looking for more information about the area. With a commitment to providing personalized and comprehensive services, we'll work with you every step of the way to ensure a successful and stress-free real estate experience. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you make the move to the Kansas City Northland.
OUR FAVORITE SUBDIVISIONS:
The Real Scoop on KC Northland's Real Estate
The Northland area of Kansas City offers a wide range of real estate options to fit a variety of lifestyles and budgets. The area is known for its affordable housing options, including single-family homes, townhomes, and apartments. Many of the homes in the Northland were built in the mid to late 20th century, but there are also several new construction developments popping up throughout the area.
Some of our favorite subdivisions include:
- Staley Hills in Kansas City: A new construction development with a variety of homes and amenities, including a community pool and walking trails. The community is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and affordable housing options.
- Shoal Creek Valley: The Preserve in Kansas City: A master-planned community with a variety of housing options, including single-family homes and villas. The community features a community center, pool, and walking trails, and is known for its beautiful natural surroundings.
- Benson Place in Kansas City: A family-friendly community with affordable homes and a community pool. The community features a variety of housing options, including single-family homes and townhomes, and is known for its close-knit community feel.
- Tiffany Woods at RoseCreek in Kansas City: A gated community with luxury homes and a beautiful golf course. The community is known for its high-end homes and upscale amenities, including a clubhouse and pool.
Top Neighborhoods For First Time Home Buyers:
- Pine Grove in Kansas City: A family-friendly community with affordable homes and a community pool. The community features a variety of housing options, including single-family homes and townhomes, and is known for its great location and convenient access to local amenities.
- North Creek Village in Kansas City: A new construction development with a variety of homes and amenities, including a community pool and playground. The community features a range of housing options, from starter homes to larger family homes, and is known for its modern amenities and family-friendly atmosphere.
- There a loads of options in the Northland for first time home buyers that are not master planned communities and unmarked. Our team can point you in the right direction, just reach out today!
Great Options for a Downsizer:
- The Enclave at Highland Meadows: This community offers a variety of housing options, including villas and single-family homes. Amenities include walking trails and a community pool.
- Chapel Ridge Villas: With a range of housing options, including villas and single-family homes, this community offers amenities such as walking trails and a community pool.
- Woodneath Farms: This gated community features maintenance-free homes and a community pool.
- Eagle Creek Villas: This community offers villas and single-family homes and includes amenities such as walking trails and a community pool.
- Benson Place Village: With options including villas and single-family homes, this community features amenities such as walking trails and a community pool.
- The Trails: This popular maintenance-provided community is known for its convenient location and well-maintained homes, and offers a range of housing options including villas and single-family homes. Amenities include walking trails, a community pool, and a clubhouse.